Wednesday, September 16, 2009

An Abstract Expression of New York City

When I'm waiting for the train, I often look at the ads on the walls and pick away at how lame they are, how bad of a photoshop job was done (thinking that it was done by someone who just learned the program and doesn't know what it means to "feather" a selection), or rarely how good and effective the ad I am looking at is. Some train stations have the ad boxes, but no ads in them and directly reminds me of something created by an Abstract Expressionist artist. This one specifically, at 79th street on the 1 train (uptown platform) reminds me of Robert Rauschenberg's "Canyon"... minus the bald eagle with the oil paint. (yeah i know, he's really more of a Neo-Dada artist)

It just intrigues me how "Grafitti" is considered a nuisance (crappy grafitti i think- nuisance, banksy- brilliant)
and the content of the photo above isn't considered Grafitti..its not considered art by most either.
To me, its absolutely refreshing to see this. Look at those colors! The "canvas" is busy, but not an eyesore. Theres no photoshop to judge, no composition to laugh at because someone got paid and did so-so job,
and no intent to sell a sham-wow or the next kid's bop installment.

Look out for these.
Tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant!

Eric said...

Love this one, John. Great stuff all around.